In the state of Nevada severe penalties and restricted rights are imminent when convicted of a violent crime. Nevada is constantly writing and rewriting laws to curtail crime. That is why you will need an experienced criminal defense attorney from the very beginning. Violent crimes include the following:
- Aggravated assault and battery
- Dangerous weapons enhancements
- False imprisonment
- Homicide (murder)
Generally connected with high levels of hostility and serious physical harm, being convicted of a violent crime can mean up to life without parole and in some cases capital punishment. Yet there is still a possibility of being charged with a violent crime even if no one is physically injured.
You have options and I am here to fight for you, making sure your rights are protected. Many of your future civil rights are at stake. I can determine if your rights were infringed upon by law enforcement. I will investigate whether you were a victim of an unconstitutional lineup. These are just a couple examples that can change your entire case. More defense strategies are listed below:
- Defense of self – Deadly force and non-deadly force is permissible by law when protecting yourself from attack by another person when there are reasonable belief the other person’s actions were likely to result in serious bodily harm or death.
- Defense of property – Tougher to prove but still a reasonable defense, force or deadly force can be used if you are trying to protect your residence against an intruder.
- Defense of others – Force or deadly force is permissible to defend a third party from harm if such force was reasonably required.
- Lack of intent – Ordinarily, intent is required in violent crime cases. Without it, prosecutors may have a weak case.
- Justification – Under certain circumstances, some actions are not criminal in nature.
These illustrations offer a broad overview. There may be several other approaches that could prove applicable in your case. Before you speak to anyone, call me, Ben Scroggins Chtd., at (702) 328-5550.